Current:Home > ScamsNorth Korea fires suspected long-range ballistic missile into sea in resumption of weapons launches -Capitatum
North Korea fires suspected long-range ballistic missile into sea in resumption of weapons launches
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-06 10:18:49
SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — North Korea fired a suspected long-range ballistic missile into the sea Monday in a resumption of its weapons testing activities, its neighbors said, as the North vows retaliatory steps against U.S. and South Korean moves to boost their nuclear deterrence plans.
South Korea’s military said in a statement that North Korea launched what appeared to be a long-range ballistic missile from its capital region Monday morning. It said South Korea maintain a readiness while exchanging information about the launch with U.S. and Japanese authorities.
Japan’s Defense Ministry said it also spotted a ballistic missile launch by North Korea. A ministry statement said that the missile was still in flight and that it was expected to land in waters outside the Japanese Exclusive Economic Zone.
Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida told reporters that he had so far received no report of injuries or damages from the missile launch and that he planned to hold a National Security Council meeting to discuss the test.
The launch came hours after South Korea reported North Korea conducted a short-range ballistic missile test into the sea Sunday night. It was the North’s first weapons launch in about a month.
Observers said the North’s back-to-back launches were likely a protest against the moves by South Korea and the United States to bolster their nuclear deterrence plans in the face of North Korea’s evolving nuclear threats.
Senior U.S. and South Korean officials met in Washington over the weekend and agreed to update their nuclear deterrence and contingency strategies and incorporate nuclear operation scenarios in their combined military exercises next summer.
On Sunday, North Korea’s Defense Ministry slammed its rivals’ move to include nuclear operation scenarios in their joint drills, describing it as an open threat to potentially use nuclear weapons against the North. It vowed to prepare unspecified “offensive countermeasures.”
“The armed forces of (North Korea) will thoroughly neutralize the U.S. and its vassal forces’ attempt to ignite a nuclear war,” the North Korean statement said. “Any attempt by the hostile forces to use armed force against (North Korea) will face a preemptive and deadly counteraction.”
Animosities between the two Koreas deepened after North Korea launched its first military reconnaissance satellite into space Nov. 21 in violation of U.N. bans.
South Korea, the U.S. and Japan strongly condemned the launch, viewing it as an attempt by the North to improve its missile technology as well as establish a space-based surveillance system.
South Korea announced plans to resume front-line aerial surveillance in response. North Korea quickly retaliated by restoring border guard posts, officials in Seoul said. Both steps would breach a 2018 inter-Korean deal on easing front-line military tensions.
veryGood! (36)
Related
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- Amazon Prime Day 2023 Extended Deal: Get This Top-Rated Jumpsuit for Just $31
- Amazon Prime Day 2023 Deal: Get the Keurig Mini With 67,900+ 5-Star Amazon Reviews for Just $60
- Supersonic Aviation Program Could Cause ‘Climate Debacle,’ Environmentalists Warn
- Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
- Fracking Wastewater Causes Lasting Harm to Key Freshwater Species
- Be the Host With the Most When You Add These 18 Prime Day Home Entertaining Deals to Your Cart
- Lift Your Face in Just 5 Minutes and Save $80 on the NuFace Toning Device on Prime Day 2023
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- Coal Ash Along the Shores of the Great Lakes Threatens Water Quality as Residents Rally for Change
Ranking
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- EPA Announces $27 Billion Effort to Curb Emissions and Stem Environmental Injustices. Advocates Say It’s a Good Start
- If You Bend the Knee, We'll Show You House of the Dragon's Cast In and Out of Costume
- OutDaughtered’s Danielle and Adam Busby Detail Her Alarming Battle With Autoimmune Disease
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
- Chipotle testing a robot, dubbed Autocado, that makes guacamole
- Viasat reveals problems unfurling huge antenna on powerful new broadband satellite
- Patrick and Brittany Mahomes Are a Winning Team on ESPYS 2023 Red Carpet
Recommendation
Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
Minnesota Is Poised to Pass an Ambitious 100 Percent Clean Energy Bill. Now About Those Incinerators…
A Rare Plant Got Endangered Species Protection This Week, but Already Faces Threats to Its Habitat
New York City Begins Its Climate Change Reckoning on the Lower East Side, the Hard Way
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
Washington’s Biggest Clean Energy Lobbying Group Pushes Natural Gas-Friendly Policy
In Northern Virginia, a Coming Data Center Boom Sounds a Community Alarm
Zayn Malik Reveals the Real Reason He Left One Direction